About Michelle Roy
After practicing family litigation for 5 years, first at the largest law firm in Canada, followed by a boutique family law firm, I made the decision that I no longer wanted to litigate and that I want to concentrate on helping separating spouses settle their family law issues outside of the court process. This decision lead me to found Solace Settlement Services in December 2009.
With the support of my then boss, I took the necessary courses to become an accredited Family Mediator with OAFM and completed a 100 hour internship with two of the most notable Family Mediators in Toronto: Hilary Linton of Riverdale Mediation and Dr. Barbara Jo Fidler of Family Solutions.
I also trained to become a Family Arbitrator with Lorne Wolfson and Dr. Barbara Landau, receiving a certificate from the ADR Institute of Canada.
A couple of years later, I completed the training to become a Collaborative Family Lawyer with The Divorce Team in Barrie, Ontario.
During the last several years there has been a surge of family law lawyers practicing in Toronto and the GTA who have become disgruntled with the family court system, and have decided to focus their practice on out-of-court settlements and to become Family Mediators. Toronto, in my view, has become saturated with Family Mediators.
With so many Family Mediators to chose from, separating spouses seeking to mediate their family law issues, are mediator shopping.
It became clear to me that in order to set myself apart from other Family Lawyers and Mediators specializing in out of court settlements, I needed to create a niche pratice. In March 2013, I decided what that niche would be: helping married and common law spouses resolve the family law issues particular to starter marriages.
People commencing or ending a starter marriage are typically in their 20s, 30s and early 40s. While I have never personally been married and divorced, being in my 30s, I relate well to this age group. Moreover, most people in this age group simply can’t afford the high hourly rates of more seasoned Family Law Lawyers and Mediators in Toronto, which range from $475.00 to $750.00 per hour. My fees are reasonable and affordable.
Here’s some more information about me:
- B.A. (Hons) from Queen’s University in 1998 in English Literature and Criminology
- LL.B. from Dalhousie University in 2002
- Masters in Criminology from Cambridge University in England in 2004 where I concentrated on intimate partner violence and sexual assault
- The Honourable Angus L. MacDonald Prize in recognition of achieving the highest standing in Tort Law and Damage Compensation
- Keyser Mason Ball Note and Comment Prize for my paper published in the Dalhousie Journal of Legal Studies
Professional Qualifications and Affiliations
- Called to the Ontario Bar in 2002
- Member Law Society of Upper Canada
- Accredited Family Mediator Ontario Association for Family Mediation
- ADR Institute of Ontario
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, Ontario Chapter